Adequate ADSL2 Line Filters - A Warning Story
Ticket #657nnn: 02968nnnnn Service
24 March 2008
FIRST OF ALL - I AM SORRY about my previous statement that OPTUS SERVICE IS CRAP.
I EAT MY OWN WORDS. SORRY AGAIN. WHEN I AM WRONG I AM WRONG.
I hope that this clarifies my point.
As your pricing is good and service great other than the background noise that I had for the last 12 months. I signed up with you again and would put up with the noise.
About a week ago I used some of my logic to eliminate two factors that could contribute to the noise.
1. ADSL2+ is a higher frequency - wider band to that of ADS1 I used before. 2. ADSL1 filters could be the problem. However I purchased about 5 different brands last year that claim to be ADSL2+ complaint and none worked. I fitted them to each of the four (4) phones, none made a difference. I even tried two in line.
This is where I made the wrong assumption that it must be the service not the filter.
In a way I was half right - ADSL2+ creates a different background noise to ADSL1.
NOW AS A LAST RESORT AND THE FACT THAT I DO NOT LIKE TO GIVE UP, LAST WEEK I WENT TO "DICKSMITH" AND PURCHASED AN ADSL2+ CENTRAL FILTER/SPLITTER Cat F2931 for $34.98,
INSTALLED IT AS PER INSTRUCTION (on the fist socket into house then disconnected rest of the loop, connected it to PHONE LINE out of filter/splitter) _*AND PROBLEM GONE.*_
NO BACKGROUND NOISE AT ALL AND MY ADSL2+ SPEED WENT UP FROM 2850Kbps TO 3850Kbps AT THE SAME TIME AND REMAINS CONSTANT WHERE BEFORE I HAD DAYS WHERE 750Kbps WAS THE BEST I COULD GET.
ALL THAT I CAN SAY IS THIS SPLITTER WORKED FOR ME WHERE OTHERS DID NOT.
- C10 MODEL C10245M "TELSTRA APPROVED" ? (4 off)
- TE N53 DSL-008E1 (4 off)
- NETCOMM N367 EM1550 (4 off)
- D-LINK DSL-10CF SPLITTER - old type
- NETCOMM EM1100 - old type
- SUTTLE 900LC&630LC (4 off)
- THE ONE THAT COMES WITH A "BILLION" BiPAC700 ADSL2+ ROUTER $75 wasted (1 off)
I must say that I tried 1 filter and one phone at a time on each of the above filters but the noise was still there.
ALL OF THE ABOVE I CAN'T USE (AS YOU CAN SEE I DID TRY BUT GAVE UP AFTER THIS MANY GOES)
I AM NOW USING NB6plus4W ADSL2+ modem - great no disconnection at all.
The NB5plus4 that was supplied by you kept disconnecting but Netcomm gave me a free upgrade to NB6plus4W - what a great service.
I must say that I am not an electronics or IT technician.
My background is mechanical.
If I had electronic technical skills I may have solved it 12 months ago.